Bihar Tourist Place
Posted December 19, 2008on:
Like in all ancient civilizations, the earliest human settlements in India sprung up around its magnificent rivers. Few rivers of the world have moulded the culture, economy and personality of the people dwelling on their banks as the river Ganga has. Cutting straight across Bihar from west to east, the bounteous Ganga nurtured a veritable fountainhead of political and cultural civilizations, on its shores, down the millennia.
Here, kingdom after kingdom rose and fell, leaving their indelible mark on history. Rival kings fought legendary battles, devastating the land and people. Yet, by some strange alchemy, the same land saw the birth of some of the most noble and progressive religious teachers like the Buddha, Mahavira and Guru Gobind Singh. Then came the Muslims, ruling with panache for five centuries, to be eliminated in turn, by the powerful British, who ruled till the middle of this century.
Bihar, today, is a quaint interface of the old and new. The state boasts of an incredible range of mineral resources. The coal belt in Bihar is the mainstay of thermal energy in India. Bihar’s modern visage sports some of India’s largest steel and mining industries
Places to Visit:-
Patna, BodhGaya, Nalanda, Rajgir, Vaishali, Madhubani, Darbhanga, Samasti Pur, Sapul, Kathihar
Patna:- An immensely fertile, arched stretch of land along the bank of the Ganga, the history and cultural heritage of modern day Patna, go back well over two millennium.
Like Delhi, Patna too had been the regal seat of governance for successive kingdoms, since ancient times. With every significant change in the ancient political scenario, the city was renamed. Thus, Kusumpura metamorphosed through Pushpapura, Pataliputra, Azeemabad into the present day Patna. Patna is the capital of the state of Bihar. There are lot of places (Kumrahar, Golghar, Har Mandir Takht, Martyr’s Memorial, Pathar ki Masjid, Patna Museum, Jalan Museum and Sadaqat Ashram.) to see in and around the Patna.
Bodhgaya:- Bihar has some of the most sacred Buddhist and Hindu shrines. Gaya is one of the most important pilgrimage places for the Hindus. It is
believed that a Hindu will reach heaven if his last rites are offered under the celebrated ‘Aksh ayabat’ or immortal banyan tree, standing in the yard of Vishnupad temple. Believed to be built on the footsteps of Vishnu, the grand temple was renovated by Ahalyabai, queen of Indore.
Nalanda:- Though the Buddha visited Nalanda several times during his lifetime, this famous centre of Buddhist learning shot to fame much later,
during 5th-12th centuries. The Chinese scholar and traveller Hiuen Tsang stayed here in the 7th century, and has left an elaborate description of the excellence, and purity of monastic life practised here. About 2,000 teachers and 10,000 students from all over the Buddhist world, lived and studied in this international university.
The Gupta kings patronised these monasteries, built in old Kushan architectural style, in a row of cells around a courtyard. Kings Ashoka and Harshavardhana were some of its most famous patrons, who built impressive temples and monasteries. Recent excavations have unearthed elaborate structures. An international centre for Buddhist Studies was established in 1951. The Nalanda Museum and the Nava Nalanda Mahavihar are definitely worth a visit.
Lauria Areraj is a 11.5 m high Ashokan column, erected in 249 BC. The polished sandstone pillar has six edicts on it. Lauria Nandangarh is the site of the famous Lion pillar, erected by king Ashoka. The 8.5 m polished sandstone column also has an edict engraved on it. The Nandangarh stupa, nearby, is believed to house the ashes of the Buddha.
Rajgir:- Rajgir, known earlier as ‘Rajagriha’ or Girivaraja, nestles in the rocky hills, that witnessed the teachings of both Buddha and Mahavira. It
lies 15 km south of Nalanda, and was the ancient capital of the Magadha kings. The Buddha frequented Rajagriha, seeking the solitude and tranquillity of the Jivkamaravana monastery, preaching and meditating at the Griddhakuta hill (Hill of vultures). It was at this hill, that he converted one of his celebrated followers, the Mauryan king Bimbisara, to Buddhism. After the Buddha reached ‘parinirvana’, his followers held the first Buddhist council at the Saptaparni cave. It was here, that His teachings were penned down for the very first time. An important pilgrimage centre for Hindus and Jains, Rajgir is also known as Panchpahari with shrines on five hills.
Today, Rajgir is a picturesque and serene place, visited by pilgrims from all over the globe. It has also gained recognition as a health resort, thanks to the famous hot springs.
Vaishali:- Vaishali. Named after King Visala, it was the capital of the Lichhavis, and is believed to be one of the earliest republics of the world, having an elected body of representatives and an efficient administration,
as early as 6th century BC. Vaishali is significant to both Buddhists and Jains. Lord Buddha preached his first sermon, and announced his impending Nirvana here. To commemorate the importance of the site, Emperor Ashoka erected one of his famous pillars. Vaishali is also the birthplace of Lord Mahavira.
One hundred years after the Buddha’s ‘parinirvana’, 700 monks from all over North India, assembled here, to discuss the 10 points of ‘vinaya’, the rule of conduct, under dispute. Thus, Vaishali became the venue of the second Buddhist council. Two stupas were erected to recall this event.
Shyama Temple (Darbhanga)
Shyama Temple is just one KM west of Darbhanga Railway Station. It is
situated in the picturesque and peerless Lalit Narayan Mithila University. In fact it is private graveyard of Darbhanga Raj Royal family and temples have been build upon the graveyard of the ancestors of the Royal family. Shyama Temple is one of them. It was built in 1933. A huge statue of Goddess Kali is enshrined in this temple. This temple is famous not only for its grand our beauty and lively men but also for the faith that people here get there in desire fulfilled if they worship with holy heart.
Manokama na Temple is situated in the University Campus just beside Nargauna Palace. This temple has constructed with the Marvel. In fact it is a Hanuman temple where a little but most beautiful statue of Hanuman is build of marvel. A lot of crowd came to visit this place every day.
Malechchhed Mardani Temple
Malechchhed Mardini temple is one km south west of Darbhanga Railway station. It is temple of the Godden who destroy the faints. This temple is of utmost importance for Shakti people.
Kankali temple is two km north west of Darbhanga Railway station in the premises of Qila of Darbhanga Mahraj. This temple is of utmost importance for Shakti people.
Established in 1891, it is at a distance of just one km form the Darbhanga Railway Station. Though the original building was damaged by the earthquake of 1897, later on it was reconstructed. The church is also known by the name Holy Rosary Church. Every Friday one can witness a large gathering at this place. Like other churches, here also, Christmas is celebrated with much enthusiasm between 25th-31st December and there is also Anand Mela on 7th October every year which is open to participation by public. The picture given below shows this church.
Bhikha Salami Majar
It is situated at one km southeast from Darbhanga Railway station on the bank of Gangasagar pond. A fair is to be organized between 12th and 16th day during the Ramzan.
Masjid at Darbhanga Tower
It is situated at two km west from the Darbhanga Railway Station and just neat at Darbhanga Tower. It is the most attractive and religious place for the Islam religion. A crowd people are assembled on every Friday for pray their Namaj.
The Mazar of Makhdoom Baba
It is situated at two km northwest from Darbhanga Railway Station and just between the both universities. It is the very popular secularism place. Here daily people from Islam religion as well as Hindu religion assemble for offering their prayers.
Maharaja Laxmiswar Singh Museum
Maharaja Laxmiswar Singh Museum was established on 16th September 1977. It is situated just west south of Darbhanga Railway Station. This Museum can be visited every day except Monday. Its opening and closing time is 10.00 AM and r.30 PM respectively. There is no entry fee.
Royal family of Darbhanga is well known for its love and affection with art and culture. Prince Subheshwar Singh gifted the invaluable and immemorial items and Durlabh Kalakritiya in order to establish this museum. The then District Magistrate of Darbhanga Shree Ramashankar Tiwari had also played an important role in the establishment of this museum. This unique museum is situated on the eastern bank of Mansarover Lake.
There is rare collection of a number of objects and weapons made of Gold, Silver, Tusker teeth all collection has been scientifically organized and placed into eight different chambers.
Hall Number 1: This hall is known as Raj Singhasan Kash. Royal throne of Maharaj Rameshwar singh jee has been placd in this Hall. This throne is symbol of Power, wealth and dignity of the royal family. It is made of gold, silver and precious stones. Besides royal throne, silver made Palang(BED), Nalki and a number of other such items has also been placed in this hall which are pleasant memory of yester years of royal family. Royal throne and Silver Bed are unique examples of Sculptural excellence.
On the basis of design and decoration the Royal throne can be divided into five parts.
· It is made of wood, which is square in shape. The beauty of this part is pasting of flowers leaves and its finder brines made of ivory. The shape and size of this flower and leaves are so accurate that it looks like natural.
· Just above it there is a six-inch plate of silver all round the throne elephants of small size are shown on it. Although it is small in size but very natural in its look.
· Just above silver plate there are elephants an each corner of the throne at the distance of two feets. There are hole in the back of these elephants. Most probably silver rod would have been used to decorate the throne as per desire.
· All round he throne there are square gold and silver plates a which various types of animals has been shown in their different natural possess. Group of elephants playing in water, roaring lions, Panther climbing on the tree. Fighting bull and running deer are some of them.
· Precious stones were presented at every angles of the throne. The monogram of royal family FISH is in the middle of the throne.
Hall Number 2: Hall of Metallic artifacts: A number of attractive artifacts have shown in this hall and among these unique globe made of copper and circular shield are can be of attraction. In these two artifacts important events of Ramayana, Mahabharata and Krishna-Leela has been reflected.
Hall Number 3: Hall of stone idols and artifacts:
Statue made of marble and other stone made artifacts have been shown in his hall. A circular table made of a single piece of marble is treat to watch. A number of women have been inscribed one it in Greek – style. The clothes hair and physique of there women reflects the clear impact of greekan style. Just like greekan style the clothes are transparent and its fold are such that it seems it has been blown up by air. The curly hair looks very natural.
Hall Number 4 & 5: Ivory Hall. There is a unique collection of the artifacts made of ivory. Mat, Net, flowers, leaves and a lot of other things, made of ivory, are just superb in its presentation. A spulse made of ivory is so lively that visitors get mazes after seeing it. Beside this Ivory mad lions and sofa-set also attract the visitors very much.
Hall Number 6: Hall of weapons. Weapons of the various kings have been shown in this hall.
Hall Number 7 & 8: Hall of wooden artifacts. These two halls painting wooden artifacts have been shown in so natural that it works like metal.
Chandradhari Museum, Darbhanga
This museum was established on 7 December 1957 on the north bank of Mansarowar La ke. Late Chandradhari Singh of Ranti Dyordhi (Madhubani) donated all the artifact and other rare objects. It was shifted in double story building in 1974. There is no entry fee for visiting the Museum. It remains open for public on everyday except Monday. On the basis of arrangement and materials of the Museum it can be devided into eleven type of Halls.
Aims of the Museum
To collect, to preserve and to display the artifacts of historical, archaeological and cultural importance of the region in the public interest as well as to educate the students through the exhibited materials.
On the basis of arrangement and materials of the Museum, it is divided into eleven gallery. Short description of same very important gallery are below:-
Glass Gallery In this gallery beautiful objects of Baljium cutting glass are displayed.
Textile Gallery Traditional dress of Mithila as well as dress of Royal family have been shown in this Gallery.
Miniature Painting Gallery
In this gallery rare miniature paintings of different styple and school are displayed. Among these the paintings of Krishna leela with Gopies, based on Geet Govind of Jaidev are peerless. Besides this the miniature paintings of Mughal Kings and their queens in Mughal style are also of much importance.
Water colour paintings of modern style based on Ramayan and Mahabharta theme such as “Raja Janak Darbar” and “Mahabharta War” can be seen here.
Stone Sculpture Gallery
Sculptures in black Basalt stone of Hindu and Buddha religion have been shown in this gallery. Most of the sculpture belongs to the 8th & 9th century A.D.
Various types of wood objects having floweral design and inlay work are displayed in this gallery.
Mother of Pearls Gallery
In this gallery several types of beautiful exhibit made art of mother of pearls can be seen. A replica of Taj Mahal, made of mother of perals on a single piece of tuch stone is an unique one.
Natural History Gallery
Royal Bengal Tiger, Leopard, Bear and different types of horns of deer have been displayed in this gallery.
Various types of beautiful icons and objects of ivory are displayed in this gallery.
Statues in brass, brought from Rajnagar of Madhubani District have been shown in this gallery. These statues are of Nepalese and Tibetan style.
Eak mukhi Rudraksha Garlands of semi preceious stones, Mico paintings, Ancient and Modern Coins Flowers pots of Zade stone, Ivory etc are beautifully arranged and displayed.
In this room ring of preceious stones, Gold coins, Pancha Janya Sankh, Dakshina Vartaya sonkh, Shree chakra etc are will preserved.
This museum has its own small library, having different types of historical and cultural books along with same manuscripts.
Darbhanga town attained the status of a city (population 1 lakh and above) in 1961. Darbhanga is the seat of the Maharaja of Darbhanga. Laheriasarai that is the seat of district and divisional administration is a part of the Darbhanga town. The Raj area is a well developed and beautifully laid-out complex of palaces, temples, offices, parks, gardens and ponds. There are a number of palaces built by the successive Maharajas, important among them being Nargauna Palace, Anandbagh Bhawan and Bela Palace. A number of buildings are in the use of Sanskrit University and L.N.Mithila University. The old Raj Library has been taken over by the Mithila University. The Maharajas of Darbhanga have traditionally been very great patrons of art and literature and through their magnificence have always provided encouragement to the scholars of Maithili and Sanskrit. Mahesh Thakur who founded the Raj was a renowned scholar of Sanskrit. Emperor Akbar who was very much impressed by Raghunandan Jha, a scholar and disciple of Mahesh Thakur, conferred the estate upon him.
Madhubani has a number of places having tourist interest from religious, historical and archaeological point of view. Some of the prominent places are Andhratharhi, Jhanjhar Pur, Naruar, Videshwar Asthan, Balirajpur, Mangrauni, Ucchaith, Bhawanipur, Saurath, Satghara, Bisfi etc. Brief Description of Places of Religious, Historical and Archeological Importance in villages and places and tourist interest in the town of the district:
This is a road side village on Madhubani-Jaynagar road and contains a temple known as Somnath Mahadev. It owes its importance to the annual Sabha held by Maithili Brahmins for negotiating marriages. Many Panjikars who keep the genealogical records of the different families reside here and outside.
A villag e situated nine kilometers from Madhubani District Head Quarter. The village is noted for its Shiva Temple, also known as Kapileswarsthan. Numerous devotees congregate at the temple every Monday and particularly in the month of Shravan. A large fair is also held on the occasion of Maha Shiva Ratri.
The village in Benipatti block is noted for its temple of Bhagwati on the western bank of river Thumne. According to a legend, the renowned Sanskrit poet and dramatist Kalidas was blessed by Bhagwati at this place.
It is a large village situated 5kms from the block headquarter of Pandaul, the village is noted for its temple of Ugaranath and traditional association with famous poet, Vidyapati. As the legend says, Vidyapati was such a great devotee of Lord Shiva that the latter began to serve Vidyapati as his servant named Ugana.
The urban village of Samastipur is located in Samastipur district in the state of Bihar. North of Samastipur flows the Bhagmati River and this river separates Samastipur from the Darbhanga district. Vaishali and the Muzaffarpur Districts lie in the West, Ganges in the South and Khagaria and Begusarai in the east.
The district of Samastipur is a very fertile zone for Rabi crops, and is surrounded by the Badhmati River and the Burhi Gandak Rivers, along with several other tributaries. The North Eastern railway has the main Divisional Headquarters. The railways directly links Samastipur to the state capital of Patna, Dhanbad, Delhi, Kolkata, and Jamshedpur.
There are several temples dedicated to the Hindu Lord Shiva. Thaneshwar Temple is the most revered Lord Shiva Temple in the city. There are several other old temples and many new modern ones that are coming up. The Khudneshwar Sthan is one of the most famous city temples and sits in the villa.
In the imperial Gazetteer of India 1878, Pusa was recorded as a government estate of about 1350 acres in Darbhanbge. It was acquired by East India Company for running a stud farm to supply better breed of horses mainly for the army. Frequent incidence of glanders disease (swelling of glands), mostly affecting the valuable imported bloodstock made the civil veterinary department to shift the entire stock out of Pusa. A British tobacco concern Beg Sutherland & co. got the estate on lease but it also left in 1897 abandoning the government estate of Pusa.
Lord Mayo, The Viceroy and Governor General, had been repeatedly trying to get through his proposal for setting up a directorate general of Agriculture that would take care of the so and its productivity, formulate newer techniques of cultivation, improve the quality of seeds and livestock and also arrange for imparting agricultural education. The government of India had invited a British expert. Dr. J.A. Voelcker who had submitted as report on the development of Indian agriculture. As a follow-up action, three experts in different fields were appointed for the first time during 1885 to 1895 namely, agricultural chemist (Dr. J.W.Leafer), cryptogamic botanist (Dr. R.A.Butler) and entomologist (Dr. H.Maxwell Lefroy) with headquarters at Dehradun (U.P.) in the forest Research Institute complex.
Surprisingly, until now Pusa, which was destined to become the centre of agricultural revolution in the country, was lying as before an abandoned government estate. In 1898. Lord Curzon took over as the viceroy. A widely traveled person and an administrator, he salvaged out the earlier proposal and got London’s approval for the appointment of the inspector General of Agriculture to which the first incumbent Mr. J. Mollison (Dy. Director of Agriculture, Bombay) joined in 1901 with headquarters at Nagpur
The then government of Bengal had mooted in 1902 a proposal to the centre for setting up a model cattle farm for improving the dilapidated condition of the livestock at Pusa estate where plenty of land, water and feed would be available, and with Mr. Mollison’s support this was accepted in principle. Around Pusa, there were many British planters and also an indigo research centre Dalsing Sarai (near Pusa). Mr. Molliso’s visits to this mini British kingdom and his strong recommendations. In favour of Pusa as the most ideal place for the Bengal government project obviously caught the attention for the viceroy.
Before the above proposal could be implemented, certain interesting developments had taken place which brought Pusa directly in the limelight in the history of agriculture of modern India. Probably the most important one was donation of $30,000 by an American, Mr. Henry Phipps of Chicago. Baroness Curzon was the daughter of an American millionaire and Mr. Phipps as a family friend used to visit India and stay as guest of Curzon. In the words of Lord Curzon, the amount had been offered to him by the donor for utilizing it in whatever way de desired. The decision of lord Curzon went in favour of agriculture. It is said that the name of the place Pusa is the abbreviated form of Phipps of U.S.A. (Pusa) but many people say that the name of the village Pusa existed even before.Since four and half lakh of rupees meant much in those days, the establishment of a full-fledged agricultural research institute and college was contemplated with parallel government support subject to the approval of the home government. As regards the location, Dehradun had its claim being the seat of the three government experts, but the expert committee under the chairmanship of Mr. Millison unanimously recommended Pusa a the most suitable place. One might guess as to what extent the planters around Pusa who would obviously be the immediate beneficiaries of the scheme, had influenced the decision of the Mollison committee. As a final outcome, the viceroy and governor general in council sent a comprehensive proposal on 4th June,1903 to the British cabinet for establishing an agricultural research institute and college at the government estate of Pusa It highlighted among many other things, the need for initiating research activities. Crop production strategy and having a model cattle farm and Agricultural College. With the services of the three experts at Dehara dun and appointment of a few more, Pusa became a nerve centre of future development of the country’s ;agriculture. It also identified the would be director currently working at the indigo project started getting into action. The first Director, Mr. B.Coventry jointed on April 1, 1904. Top level experts from Indian and England were consulted in working out the various details. The three specialists came down from Dehradun to head their respective sections being given as imperial status, like the Imperial Entomologist, who would also continue to exercise their all-Indian jurisdiction as before.
The foundation stone of the Agricultural Research Institute and college was laid by Lord curzon on the 1st of April, 1905. In his speech, the viceroy had expressed his vision that the seed he was planting would soon blossom out, making Pusa the nucleus of agricultural activities, research and education which would not only benefit Bihar and Bengal but the whole of the country and would attract the best of talents from India and abroad. In separate meeting with the Bihar Planters Association, he fervently hoped that the institute would-be of immense service to them in their grave hour of crisis caused by the German Indigo scientist.Lord Curzon left by the end of 1905 and Lord Minto was his successor. Till the last minute he had seen through each and every detail of the Pusa project which virtually was his brainchild. Incidentally one major issue on which he had not agreed was the architecture of the main building, its wings, vaults and arches but finally he gave his consent of course with a stint.
At the site of present sugarcane research institute at Pusa, once stood a magnificent two-storeyed gigantic structure in ornate range with flat roof surmounted by a massive dome known as Phipps laboratory. This grained edifice came up by 1907-08, housing the sections of botany, chemistry, mycology,entomology and one library. Phipps laboratory was also called as “Naulakha” building by local people. Quite a few renowned scientists arrived from England including an imperial agriculturist, and imperial economic botanist. Then came up the issue of starting the college. As per the original proposal (1903) the experts were assisted in the teaching programme by a number of junior teachers, instructors, field overseers etc. and some transferred from the shibpore (Kolkatta) college which was not functioning well and was to be closed down. Meanwhile soon after the departure of lord curzon and with the active support of the educational advisor to government of India, the proposal for opening four agricultural colleges at sabour (Bihar) , Nagpur (Central Provinces) comibnatore (Madras) and Lyallpur (Punjab, now in Pakistan) had been got through and work started in a ;phased manner. So the original idea of undergraduate education at Pusa was changed over to an institute of postgraduates studies. Two year postgraduate diploma courses were formulated in four disciplines and a one-year postgraduate diplomas courses were formulated in four disciplines and a one-year programme in Agriculture (later changed to two years). Besides, there was several short-term courses for in-service candidates. In 1908-09, the first batch of students, for Licentiates in Agriculture(L.Ag’s) and university graduated in science were admitted. The wishful thinking of the educational advisor as early as in 1907 that Pusa would become a centre of excellence in agricultural research and education and could become an agricultural university itself did come out true after half a century with the stating of the postgraduate school at the institute’s new home at the Indian agricultural research institute(I.A.R.I), new Delhi. Remarkably a few years later his thinking came true at Pusa itself where the Rajendra Agricultural University stands today and undertaken imparting of UG and PG training in various disciplines.
Dr. Albert Howard and his wife Gabrielle worked on wheat and revolutionized the age-old wheat cultivation especially in the large rainfed tracts of Bihar and U.P.S.J.F. Shaw also evolved many varieties in other crops. Some the the best selections or Rice, chilles, tobacco, linseed, mustard, pulses and vegetables benefited both the planters and the farmers. Research on the taxonomy, ecology and control of insect pest by H.M.Lefroy,T.B.Fletcher and H.S.Pruthi. On plants pathogens by R.A.Butler, W.M.Macrae, M.Mitra and B.B.Mundkur and on bacteriology by W.M.Hutchinson will ever remain as classical accomplishments. An outstanding example stands in Pusa’s success in cattle improvement of the purely indigenous sahiwal stock brought from the Punjab on the Bihar soil. A special mention must be made of the monumental contributions of Dr. J.W.leather on manuring of corps, water requirements of plants, drainage studies in Bihar and reclamation of Saline-Alkai Soils. For the first time dissemination of important and practical results of research was taken up through Pusa Bulletins, memories of the department of agriculture, and the agricultural journal of India (1912). Rightfully, Pusa received an imperial status in 1918, being renamed as the Imperial Agricultural Research Institute (IARI)
Devastation came with the great Bihar Earthquake in January,1934. The ravages of destruction were badly felt at Pusa as well and the worst victim was the massive Phipp’s laboratory. One may must wonder how the remarks on the file made by Lord Curzon (who was no more in this world) about the weaknesses in the design of the building came out as frightfully true with its wings and arches totally crumbling down. Bihar received a shock, when in the year 1935, the imperial Agricultural Research Institute was shifted to New Delhi.
The fate of the phipp’s laboratory having been doomed, the government decided to abandon Pusa once again by shifting the imperial institute to once through of location at Dehradun but the controlling department (education, health and Lands) and the then viceroy (lord willingdon) decided its shifting in favours of Delhi. Towards the end of 1936 the imperial agricultural research institute (IARI) started functioning at its new home on sprawling areas northwest of new Delhi. Thus, Pusa of Bihar lost this great temple of agricultural education and research. Pusa estate were then purchased by the government of Bihar at a nominal cost of RS. 205000, the Government of India still retaining a portion of it to serve as regional station of its main research institute at New Delhi. Pusa estate since its purchase by the Govt. of Bihar has undergone a series of changes with the dawn of independence and one finds today a number of institutions located here along with the sugarcane research institute which is the major scientific organization at Pusa and one of the biggest centres of sugarcane research in the country.
A multidisciplinary sugarcane project, supported by the Indian central sugarcane committee was already operating since 1932 at the provincial government farm at Musheri, near Muzaffarpur which got the legacy of the erstwhile institute, minus the phipp’s laboratory. This project was later shifted to Pusa after the earthquake. After shifting of imperial institute from Pusa to New Delhi. The sugarcane research institute established at Pusa has served to satisfy the cause of sugarcane growers in the state by providing novel technologies. The I.A.R.I., regional station located at Pusa had been working towards development of wheat varieties Tobacco Research Station at Pusa has also bred a good number of varieties of chewing tobacco and are popular in farmer’s field.
The agricultural college which had featured in the 1903 Pusa scheme but had been nipped in the but, did actually materialized in the sixties as the Tirhut College of Agriculture, Dholi . Now the Rajendra Agricultural University (RAU) has established (1970) itself at Pusa and has become an important landmark in agricultural research & education in the eastern region of the country. The Rajendra Agricultural University now at Pusa has various faculties and constituent colleges namely, Tirhut College of Agriculture (Dholi) Muzaffarpur, Bihar Agricultural college, Sabour (Bhagalpur), Bihar veterinary college, Patna, Sanjay Gandhi Institute of Dairy Technology, Patna, College of Fisheries, Dholi (Muzaffarpur) College of Home Science, College of Agricultural Engineering, College of Basic Sciences & Humanities and a postgraduate Faculty at Pusa In RAU located at Pusa, M.Sc. Degree is awarded in 34 and Ph.D. in 17 disciplines. There is one central Library, one 450 seat capacity of Boy’s Hostel, one University Girl’s Hostel, a VIP Guest House, Kisan Ghar, IKH Bhavan, Sanchar Kendra, ATIC building, administrative complex, flax house & cluster of residential building. The old imperial time 14 bungalows & other residential quarters are still holding the ground with imperial touch.
In present Pusa, apart from the University a number of other organization such as Regional Research Station of IARI, New Delhi., Tobacco Research Station of CTRI, Rajamundri,Crop Research programme of ICAR,Kisan Vidyapeeth, Women’s Teacher Training School, Campus Public School (affiliated to CBSE), Kendriya Vidyalaya, Rajendra Sishu Sadan, Govt. Basic School, Govt. High School, Govt.Girl’s High School, Uma Pandey College, Brahmadeo Rai Sharma Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Community Development Block, a refral hospital, Central Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Cooperative Training Centre, Post and Telegraph Office, Office of Telecommunication & Pusa Police Station etc. are also functioning and contributing to the alround growth and development of Pusa Estate.
Pusa has thus faced many ups and down since July, 5 1784 when a stud farm was established through a sanad with the seal of East India Company at a rental fee of 1500 Siccas for the land occupied where captain W. Frazer was the superintendent of the farm. Even today Pusa is contributing a lot to the field of agricultural education and research and holds a bright future.
Contact Me : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile No. : 09958093447, 09868558761